Tuesday 21 August 2018

beauty of photos


Taking photos is now very easy, and they capture the moment, frame it and preserve it for ever. But what they fail to capture is the emotions, the things that you feel but cannot explain!


I went for a walk by the nearby canal the other day, there was a narrow boat docked by the side, clear sky and nice view, I took a picture. I walked further and there was a passage underneath an overgrown tree, I took a picture.
 
I got home and starting going through those photos, I could see the image but not the beauty of what I saw, I could not see the reason why I thought those images are pretty, those scenes were captivating for me, but the photos do not show that, they are average.
 
150 years ago photography started to catch up, more advanced and capturing still images and portraits that usually were done by professional artists. Many painters started to realise that they do not have to paint what they see, cameras can do that, they must paint what they believe they are seeing, what they feel about what they are seeing and painting what they are seeing actually symbolises and represents. That’s why we have the starry night, the scream, and Guernica!
 
The narrow boat photo was more than a boat docked by the side of the canal, it was a small cottage, its front garden on top, the chimney tells stories of warmth and meeting around the fire, the boat is so close to the bank that you think it is built on it, and so part of the water that you know it is a boat, water is not blue nor it is clear, but still it reflects the images of creation that it supports..
 

The passage underneath the tree leads to eternity, it is the gates to tomorrow; slightly dark to look at but you now it will be brighter once you go through it, It is serendipity. The skies are the same colour of the path, you know heavens on your side, the trees on this side are different from the other side because every path has its fate and future.
 

I edited the photos, still not what I felt when I saw them, but maybe what I see is different to what everyone else would see, and that is the beauty of photos, paintings and art, just free your mind from what your senses tell you and let it go wild so you can enjoy what you sense..


Ahmad Baker
 

1 comment: